Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Barefoot Sprints and Blood Sugar

Tuesday, June 23. 2015



My day began with the viewing of yet another amazing sunrise. I never tire the sight of these.
EVERY DAY, is the first day of the rest of your life.
What will your next chapter be?
If you do not like who, where or what you are, change it! 
YOU are the boss of you. 


After viewing the sunrise at my preferred location I visited the high school for a session of intense eXercise, barefoot sprints on the high school football field.  I love how the sun lights up the heavy dew. That is the mushroom in the foreground on the right. 


Below is picture evidence of my activities.  I was fasted from the night before, barefoot and shirtless. 

Just an FYI - twenty 'all out' sprints is very intense. :)


"All out" 100 yard sprinting is very anaerobic and therefore very  intense exercise.  

Blood Sugars


My sprinting started at 6:30 and ended at 7:00 AM.
Notes:
  • Unfortunately I did not test my BG before sprinting but I am usually in the upper 60's to upper 80's mg/dl. 
  • My body has an immediate reaction to very intense exercise (as this was).  The spike in blood sugar is fast and furious with the apex of the spike occurring in the 20 - 30 minute time frame. 


  • The first blood sugar (BG) reading below was at 7:30 (the time is off an hour on the meter), 30 minutes post workout.

    Given that this reading was 30 minutes after my workout, it's safe to say that this was near the peak of my blood sugars.  Yes, it's likely to have been higher but I doubt that it went much higher. 

30 minutes post workout
The next reading was an hour later, 1 1/2 hours post exercise.

1 1/2 hours post exercise.
I didn't check again until 3 hours post exercise.  Finally back into normal ranges, sub 100 mg/dl. 





Next up a food picture,  not a great food picture. 

Raw onions and squash on the side with skillet fried ground beef.   I poured the residual beef fat from the skillet onto the squash and onions, then 'tossed' adding salt, pepper and Paprika. 

Roughly a pound of beef, a cup of squash and 1/3 of a small onion.  

Dinner was two pork rib meat 'slabs', no veggies. :) 


Post dinner activities, a relaxed walk along the Neuse River Greenway with Arya. 










No comments:

Post a Comment